Patients ask, ‘What is CEREC dentistry, and is there a CEREC dentist near me in Sacramento?’
A broken or chipped tooth is never part of the plan and is not convenient. When dental trauma occurs, you want your tooth to be restored efficiently and effectively. A crown is a cap that protects and repairs a broken tooth. Patients looking for a dentist near me in the Sacramento area have discovered CEREC crowns from Sacramento Natural Dentistry. CEREC dentistry allows dentists to restore and enhance damaged teeth quickly and safely.
What is CEREC dentistry?
CEREC is the acronym for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. Developed in 1980 and put into use in 1985, CEREC crowns have been used to successfully restore teeth ever since. CAD/CAM technology enables dentists to create natural-looking, sturdy restorations right in the office.
CEREC versus traditional crowns
CEREC and traditional crowns are both caps used to restore and protect a damaged tooth. However, the two restorations differ in how they are designed and created. Traditional crowns are created using manual impressions of the teeth. The impressions and detailed notes from the dentist regarding the size, color, and shape of the tooth are sent to an off-site laboratory for fabrication. In the interim, a temporary crown may be worn. Once the permanent crown is finished, it is cemented into place at a second dental visit.
CEREC restorations are created and placed in the office during the same dental visit. There is no need to wait weeks for a crown to be made or to return to the office for another appointment to have the crown cemented into place. CEREC crowns are fabricated in the office using state-of-the-art CAD/CAM technology and a milling machine.
With this technology, there is no longer a need for manual impressions. Digital impressions are used to create a computerized crown design. The dentist can modify the design, as necessary, to ensure a quality, natural result. Once the design is approved, the milling machine creates the crown within minutes. The crown is then bonded into place. From start to finish, the entire process is completed during the same appointment. There is no need to return for a second visit.
Advantages of CEREC crowns
Crowns, whether traditional or CEREC, are caps designed to protect and restore your teeth. They are restorations that maintain the health of your mouth. At Sacramento Natural Dentistry, we strive to preserve as much of the natural tooth as possible. We provide high quality patient care while protecting your oral health efficiently and effectively. CEREC crowns allow us to restore your teeth in a manner that is convenient for patients.
Advantages of CEREC restorations include:
- One appointment – Patients save time and money by needing to visit the dentist only one time. There is no need to miss additional time from work. The crown is created and bonded the same day.
- Comfortable – Manual impressions can leave a foul taste in your mouth. Digital impressions are more comfortable than biting into a mold.
- Natural-looking – Using advanced technology produces an aesthetically pleasing restoration. The dentist can match the crown to the natural tooth and adjacent teeth in size, shape, and color.
- Form and function – CEREC crowns are created using a single block of quality ceramic material. The result is a durable crown that looks, feels, and acts as a natural tooth. The crown is sturdy, less likely to chip, and blends smoothly with your natural tooth.
- Cost effective – Not only do CEREC crowns offer patients the convenience of a single visit, but they save patients the added expense of laboratory fees. With an in-office milling machine, your dentist creates the crown the same day rather than sending it to an off-site lab for fabrication.
- Safe – CEREC restorations are made of ceramic. They are metal-free and biocompatible, making them safe for patients.
- Conservative – Depending upon the patient’s need, more of the natural tooth can be preserved with conservative CEREC restorations.
CEREC restorations offer patients many benefits when it comes to protecting and maintaining the health of your teeth. When trauma occurs, save yourself time and money with quality CEREC crowns.